How It Works
This blog post is about how the Pinterest Search works and some tips to help get found through the platform. After helping a client and being suggested to write this post it’s been put off for a couple of days but here we go! This blog post is tailored around having an account set up a little bit. If you have not signed up for the platform yet send us an email through the contact page and we will make sure you get one. You can also check our our other post on Basics of Pinterest. Before you start you should try to figure out the one main thing you are going to want to get found for. Take some time to search through the platform and use a keyword research tool to see what gets the most traffic.
Now lets go through the different search options. If you click the home button (just the Pinterest red logo at the top center) you will by default be looking at the “Pinners you follow” option. You then have a choice to look at the everything tab and within that, options to look at specific categories. The categories will go off of the boards and you can make/change the board categories by editing or setting up a board. Next you have the Videos, Popular, and Gifts. Gifts even has a price range for you set up. If you want to get into that section you just need to add a price to your pins. When you go to your pin just type in $10.00 and your pin will automatically have a strip across it displaying the price.
From doing research ourselves the other day there are some EASY ways you can come up in the search results a lot better. Here are the steps:
1. Go up to your profile and click “Settings”
2. Change your First and Last Name from the research you completed. We wanted to get found for “Social Media News.” We ended up putting “Social Media News” for the First Name and “w/ MediaCurb” for the Last Name.
3. Change your user name. This will be pinterest.com/YourUserName. So we could pick pinterest.com/socialmedianews. This will help within the Pinterest Search and on search engines.
4. Go back to your profile by clicking your name at the top right. Then you will see all of your boards. Change your board names to terms people would search for. Of course make one titled the one you found. We have one called “Social Media News.”
5. When you pin or Repin keep in mind to use the same keywords for that board. For these specific tips we haven’t seen using the full description amount help to get found. If you are trying to get found for Social Media News then you would just put that as the pin name. We have read and seen a lot of suggestions as to use the entire character limit on Pinterest. For this we didn’t see it helping but you can try to do that as well and see which one works better for you.
6. Done with these tips. See if it helps you out and let us know in the comments!